Going Crackers, In a Lavash Kind of Way

by Janice on September 24, 2009

000_2483

000_2475

These Lavash Crackers for the Bread Baker’s Apprentice Challenge make me laugh.  These crackers were fun to make.  These crackers were the first yeasted crackers I’ve ever made.  But I’m not sure I’ll make them again.  Luckily, the same dough can also be used to make pita bread.

Let me explain a little.  The story of Goldilocks comes to mind.  When I rolled out the dough for these crackers, I found it wonderfully silky and, well, rollable.  The problem is mine: I can’t roll anything out evenly to save my life.  Seriously.  And with pie crusts, you can get away with that lack of skill.  But with crackers?  Not a chance.  Some of the dough was so thin that it was, shall we say, overly browned.  Some, at the edges, was so thick that it came out more like a pale stale flatbread.  Not so appetizing, huh?  Then there was the dough that was just right.  Unfortunately, not as much of that as I would have hoped.  But that?  That part of the dough was so good and so flavorful from the toppings and so crisp and so pretty, that maybe I will make these again.  Because practice makes perfect, at least in theory.

I used smoked paprika, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and sea salt as my toppings.  I needed to use a much lighter hand with that paprika sprinkling, but the smokiness was a welcome addition, and you just can’t beat the color.  The dough is very stiff, and kneading it by hand is a great work-out.  I wonder if using my pasta roller attachment for my KitchenAid mixer would solve the uneven dough problem?  Now there’s a thought.  Something to try another day, when there aren’t almost 30 breads still to be baked!

The recipe for these fun crackers can be found in The Bread Baker’s Apprentice.

{ 1 trackback }

Bread Baker’s Apprentice Challenge: Lavash Crackers — Pinch My Salt
February 5, 2010 at 3:59 pm

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

saltandserenity September 26, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I can so relate to the problem of uneven rolling. When I was in culinary school, my baking teacher told me my puff pastry dough looked like a relief map of Africa!

Despite rolling issues, your crackers came out just lovely. And the taste was great as well, so bravo!

The pasta rolling machine would be an interesting experiment!

Oggi September 28, 2009 at 2:22 pm

You did a great job. The cut dough is perfect and very pretty.:)

roundthetable October 6, 2009 at 2:40 am

Salt and Serenity – you made me laugh! Thanks for letting me know I’m not the only one . . .

Oggi – Thank you for your kind words!

misterrios
Twitter: misterrios
October 7, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Twitter: @misterrios

I think these look great! I also have a problem rolling, but tortilla making has honed my skills of rolling things evenly. It has not, however, honed my shaping while rolling, so my tortillas usually come out square-ish or like a map of Australia.

roundthetable October 7, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Tortilla rolling? I’m impressed! I’ve only made tortillas with a tortilla press, which obviously didn’t help my rolling skills in any way . . . my squashing skills, however, are quite good.

Nicole
Twitter: pinchmysalt
February 6, 2010 at 7:57 am

Twitter: @pinchmysalt

I had a bit of a problem with uneven rolling myself. And when I transferred the rolled out dough to the baking sheet, the edges scrunched up and were thicker than the middle. So parts of my crackers were crisp, and some weren’t. But I loved the flavor! I used smoked paprika, too! :-)

Rachael February 9, 2010 at 3:04 am

The pasta roller idea? Go for it. I used it for a pizza dough recipie a few weeks ago and it worked fine – as long as you didn’t mind rectangular pizzas, which I didn’t